WAY COVID 19 PLAN
WAY is committed to safety first. To help protect against the spread of COVID 19, we will implement and enforce the following protocols and procedures starting on June 22nd. Our plan is based on, and in accordance with, CDC and CT.Gov guidelines. As such, it may be revised periodically in accordance with updated information provided by these sources.
WAY assumes no responsibility for the recommendations provided in these guidelines. Please seek advice from medical professionals if you have specific questions and/or concerns regarding your return to training and competition at WAY.
What you should know?
- Our facility boasts 11,000 sq. ft on two levels
- separate fencing room w/ 14' ceiling
- separate chess room
- separate archery room
- dedicated academic intervention workspace (tutoring)
- an additional 4000 sq. ft. outdoor space
- Reduced capacity from 100 to 25
- Four bathrooms (total of six dedicated stalls and five sinks)
- Full HVAC
- Three staircases (flow)
- Five entry/exit door options (flow)
- ADA compliant (upper level)
Enter/exit and traffic flow:
- Parents may stay in their cars but should NOT drive away until the student is cleared through temperature and questionnaire checkpoint.
- Students enter through the front door and will have their temperature checked. Those with a consistent 100+ temperature (we check twice with a ten minute "cool down" period) will be asked to return home.
- Students will be asked a series of questions such as "did you have a fever last night?" The list of questions is available from the Wilton YMCA
- Students will exit through the back door, not the front where they entered
- Parent pick up in the back of the building on Bailey Street (WAY sign on the wall, ample parking in our driveway).
- Students alone permitted in the building unless under the age of ten, in which case they may be accompanied by an adult.
- Doors held open for touchless flow throughout the studio unless airconditioning is turned on
- Sanitizing gel throughout, gloves, and disposable mask in case you forget your own
- Traffic flow throughout studio clearly mapped out on a 360-degree chalkboard
- As mentioned above WAY is uniquely equipped to handle traffic flow with multiple staircases and doorways.
- It should be noted that archery and locker rooms are housed in the lower level while fencing is on the upper level. We have multiple staircases to manage flow up and down.
- Two ADA compliant bathrooms on the upper level
- Two more bathrooms on the lower level (four stalls)
- Soap dispensers and paper towels
- Hand sanitizer gel or spray outside each bathroom
- Glove use in bathrooms made possible. Dispose upon exiting
- Cleaning and sanitizing twice a day
Social distancing, seating, and tables:
- The studio will be clearly marked with lines and/or cones. Fortunately, fencing and archery, by default, are played at a distance from each other
- Face covering required within six feet of another person but not if twelve feet or more apart
- Indoor and outdoor seating spaced six ft. apart (we purchased all new chairs)
- Two people per table permitted (we purchased all new folding tables)
- New outdoor seating
Equipment, uniforms, chess pieces, and locker rooms:
- Equipment included and free to new students and campers. Experienced athletes should own or rent their equipment from WAY.
- Every student/camper to receive their own dedicated fencing uniform and equipment
- Dedicated "locker room" cubbies and hooks for hanging uniforms 6ft. apart
- Every student/camper to get their own dedicated chess pieces, chess pieces sanitized
- Balls and other manipulatives cleaned before and after each use
- Students have the option to wear gloves
Food, drink, and lunchtime procedure
- Students must have their own reusable water bottle (no plastic please)
- No sharing of lunch or snacks
- Two students per table (indoor or outdoor)
- Camp lunch is historically a dining out experience, but you are welcome to "brown bag" it as well.
- Kids choose from vendors on Main St. Pizza, taco, burger, or cafe
- Payment can be made via our corporate card and charged to your account with WAY. 5% added fee for this option.
- Adults and counselors escort students to and from lunch